Sep 28th, 2018
Dean Hall is swimming in miracles
Dean Hall swam the 184-mile Willamette River with active leukemia—and then, his cancer was gone. No chemo. Just the power of purpose. Listen to our discussion about his astounding recovery, overcoming trauma, patient experience, and making the extraordinary possible.
“The extraordinary becomes possible when you make it impossible to remain ordinary.”
Learn more about Dean's story at swimminginmiracles.com
and follow him on Instagram! @swimminginmiracles
I enjoyed discussing the hard science behind mind-body healing theories with Dean. Here are some references he suggested for more on the subject.
- Blue Mind: The Surprising Science That Shows How Being Near, In, On, or Under Water Can Make You Happier, Healthier, More Connected, and Better at What You Do Jul 21, 2015, by Wallace J. Nichols
- The Relaxation Response 1st (first) Avon Books Print Edition by Benson, Herbert, Klipper, Miriam Z. 
- The Nature Principle: Reconnecting with Life in a Virtual Age Apr 24, 2012, by Richard Louv
- Full Catastrophe Living (Revised Edition): Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness Sep 24, 2013, by Jon Kabat-Zinn
Other Episode-related links
- Overview of CLL - https://www.cancercenter.com/leukemia/types/tab/chronic-lymphocytic-leukemia/
- Therapeutic hypothermia NEJM article - https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1310519
- Wim Hof “The Iceman” from the Netherlands - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaMjhwFE1Zw
- Episode theme: Little Lily Swing, by Tri-Tachyon found on the Free Music Archive
Episode Theme: Little Lily Swing, by Tri-Tachyon found on the Free Music Archive
Episode Sponsor: Luxe Pillow luxepillow.com – use the coupon code “headtotoe” in your checkout for 10% off!
Writer / Podcast Host
Podcast Feedback Line: 503-512-0185